Monterrey is a large city with a wide variety of transportation options and two airports. All commercial flights use Monterrey International (MTY) -- the city's main airport. Private and cargo carriers use Del Norte Airport.
- General Mariano Escobedo International Airport (IATA: MTY) (ICAO: MMMY), Tel: +52 (81)83-45-44-34. Daily international flights to Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Chicago, Detroit, Atlanta, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Havana, and Panama City. It has several flights a day to all major Mexican destinations, including Mexico City, Guadalajara, Toluca, Cancun, Merida, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Tijuana. Several low cost airlines fly from Monterrey to different parts of the country, including Volaris, Interjet, and Viva Aerobus. The airport is located about 20 minutes from downtown in the suburban municipality of Apodaca. The usual taxi fare to go from the airport to the city and vice versa is about US$25.
- Del Norte Airport (ICAO: MMAN), Tel: +52 (81) 80-30-90-90. Private planes flying to Monterrey can use the smaller Del Norte Airport. Simply put, there is no bureaucracy involved in entering Monterrey through this airport. There are various FBOs that will be glad to assist you with your every need, and the hospitality of every single employee of the airport and the FBOs give you a very warm welcome to Monterrey. The FBOs can get you in contact with a car rental company or can take you to your hotel. This airport is also in Apodaca but it is a little closer to the city than the Mariano Escobedo Airport.
Ground transportation to/from MTY
- If you are in the city, any taxi will take you and the fare will be the same from any point of the city to the airport. In the airport you have to locate a special counter inside the terminal where you have to pay for the fare to the city. Once you pay you are given a ticket that has to be shown to the driver in order to be let into a cab.
- Rental car counters are located inside the terminal building and just outside the domestic arrival area (to your right as you exit customs from the international arrivals door). Rates are no higher than in the U.S., and you can book online through any major car rental company web site. Companies with rental locations on-site at MTY airport include: National, Advantage, Europcar, Thrifty, Alamo, Payless, Hertz, Budget, and Avis.
- There is a shuttle bus going from the airport to the Bus station in the city center, 75 Pesos one way (as of august 2015) you can buy your ticket in one of the stand in the airport. once at the bus station you can easily get anywhere by public transit.
Airlines serving MTY
- International Service: U.S. airlines serving MTY include American, United, Delta, and Copa.
- Both International and Domestic Service: Aeromexico, Interjet, and Viva Aerobus.
- Domestic Service Only: Aeromar, Interjet, Volaris, Magnicharters, and Volaris